It takes a lot these days for a horror movie to scare me, which is so surprising to me because horror movies used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger. I don’t know why I loved horror movies SO much when I was a child, because I had a really hard time sleeping in the dark after the scary movies were over.
Every weekend my two best friends and I would rent one of the Halloweens or Friday the 13th movies, pop some popcorn, turn off the lights, cuddle under a blanket and turn it on. My spot was always in the middle of the girls and everyone HAD to stay awake so I was sure not to be watching such a scary movie alone. Then afterwards, I would be scared for days from these movies that I subjected myself to.
However, lately, I find it really hard to find a movie that has been able to actually scare me. I guess since I have grown up and matured I have realized that the things I was most scared of in these movies is much less likely to happen to me in real life. Just enjoy the scare and then move on. I guess it is the movies that are about true events that really give me a chill. Due to the fact that there aren’t very many scary movies out there today that are truly scary, I have decided to provide you with a list of the movies that I think are the scariest ones on the market. These are movies that really and truly scare the crap out of me:
1. The First Friday the Thirteenth (this is the only one that was really and truly frightening).
2. The Exorcist (an oldie but a goodie, my boyfriend won’t even watch this one because it scarred him so horribly as a child)
3. House of 1000’s Corpses
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The Old One)
5. All of the SAW movies.
6. Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein (TERRIFYING!).
7. The Candyman Movies.
8. The Amityville Horror (the new one).
9. Alien (I know, not really a “horror” movie, but REALLY SCARY!)
10. The New Halloween Movie by Rob Zombie
11. Hostel (this movie scared the crap out of me, don’t watch it before any trip abroad! Just a warning).
12. Arachnophobia (Spiders taking over, yeah that’s scary!)
13. Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows (Blaire Witch Project 1 has got nothing on this movie!)
15. The Shining
16. Thirteen Ghosts
17. Pet Cemetery
18. The Fly (Just Sick and Wrong)
20. Silence of the Lambs
21. 28 Days Later
22. The Descent
23. The Skeleton Key
25. Quarantine (this one is REALLY SCARY!)
26. Dawn of the Dead (Warning: VERY GORY)
Well, that’s all the scary movies I can think of at the moment. But if you are looking for movies that will really scare the crap out of you here is a good list to get you started. This list is not in any kind of order of scariness